Water is a LIMITED resource. Did you know that less than 1% of the world's water is acceptable for human consumption? Conservation is a community effort and begins with small steps in your own home. Try these great links for valuable ideas and resources to save water and preserve our precious resource for future generations:
WaterMyYard is a Texas A&M Agrilife tool that uses local weather data to guide your watering schedule. You'll save water AND have a green lawn!
Do Your Part, Plant Smart! - North Texas Municipal Water District (ntmwd.com) Learn which native Texas plants will flourish in your yard while still conserving water. Your house will be beautiful and your water bill will be lower!
Test Your Knowledge - North Texas Municipal Water District (ntmwd.com) How much do you really know about your water? Check out this site to see where it comes from, how it's treated and why it's in short supply.
Helpful tips for lowering your water bill:
- Shut off the water while you brush your teeth, shave and soap up in the shower.
- Check toilets, faucets and pipes for leaks and fix them immediately.
- Purchase fixtures with the "WaterSense" or "WaterSmart" labels.
- Wash only full loads of laundry.
- Sign up for Watermyyard to know when to water.
- Learn to Soak and Cyle your plants.
- Don't let your hose run while washing vehicles or equipment.
Join the GSSUD Team Water in Spring 2023 as we "Spring into Conservation" - a collaboration with various local professionals to provide educational classes so YOU can learn to properly time your irrigation system, harvest rainwater and plant native landscaping all in an effort to reduce your usage AND your water bill!
Schedule will be posted in January 2023.